And it goes by the name of London

Posted by on July 6, 2014

Hello readers!

I apologize for the delay in posting. Internet has been extremely scattered this past week in my house. 9 people sharing the WiFi has been yucky as we scramble to finish papers. Fortunately, I have pre-written posts, so be prepared to get spammed!

First, I must tell you about my trip in London last weekend.

This was a study trip, which meant that it coincided with our seminar course. Mine is Utopia/Dystopia in Anglo-American Literature.

The first place we stopped on our London trip was the British Film Institute, which is a large building with countless computer stations (equipped with comfy couches), where people may go and access an archive of older British film. Each student got to choose what they watched, related to a George Orwell playlist, as our current discussion was related to Nineteen-Eighty Four. I watched a documentary on his life at the time he wrote that novel, as well as clips from various film adaptions, as well as a review by Anthony Burgess, the author of A Clockwork Orange, of Nineteen Eighty-Four. All of it was really interesting, and I decided then I wanted to write my final paper on Orwell, in some capacity.

After BFI, we grabbed a quick lunch before heading to the Houses of Parliament. It was a bit of a walk, but the view was SPECTACULAR and I promise I will post a gallery of photos next. The Houses of Parliament are actually two houses- the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The House of Commons is where nominated representatives of the people meet and discuss legislation. It is decorated in brass and green carpet. The House of Lords is where people appointed for their status and contribution to politics, as well as the Queen, meet to discuss legislation. It is decorated in PURE GOLD and red carpet. The Houses are separated by a long hallway which one poor bloke has to cross if he wants to communicate with another house.

After Parliament, we were exhausted for the day. We stayed the night at a hostel in London.

The next morning, a Saturday, we took a long walk around an area in London guided by a man named Rex. Rex was an Orwell-enthusiast and proceeded to show us places he lived, slept, dined at, drank in, and ultimately, the sanitarium Orwell died in. It was my favorite part of the trip. I felt a beautiful connection to Orwell by being able to trace the last period of his life. I also learned, via Rex, that Orwell’s first wife Eileen wrote a poem early in her life entitled, “End of the Century, 1984.” I looked up the poem on my phone and found many similarities with Orwell’s novel. I decided that I would write my final paper on a comparison between the two works.

After Rex’s tour, my friend Madeline and I broke away from the group and began a new adventure- being a tourist! I will detail this adventure in my next post!