Week 4- Scholastics and Settling

Posted by on July 15, 2014

I am home, where the internet is alive and unhindered. I have a few posts left for you to complete my journey.

Hello readers-

This week, we are reading the final selection from Jane Austen, called Persuasion. My teacher seems more than slightly irked by the fact that, as a whole, my class did not take to Emma and its titular “heroine.” Compared to the strong, however flawed, lead of Pride and Prejudice, and the naive, however progressing Catherine Moreland from Northanger Abbey, I don’t know how we were to view Emma as on the same level. She believes herself above others, meddles and doesn’t actually contribute to the “plot” of the book at all.

But I digress. I am looking forward to studying Persuasion, in hopes of ending the course on a good note. Others in my class who have already read this book say it is their favorite, so I am optimistic.

And in Utopia/Dystopia, we have been studying a novel which needs no introduction: Brave New World. I read this book in high school, and enjoyed re-reading it for the course, and remembering the parts I immensely enjoyed and those I found disturbing. This might be one of the most depressing books I’ve read, only because in the beginning, I have hope for the character of John. I forgot how whiny Bernard was until about a third of the way through.

Sadly, this class never evolved out of a lecture, so my classmates and I share our opinions outside of the classroom. I seem to enjoy this novel more than most, although I can’t quite place my finger on why yet. Perhaps because it seems ingenious without catering to a heavily science-fiction based structure. I am not a fan of science fiction. Mostly, because I feel that character development is sacrificed for world-building. My psychology major insists that I empathize with characters.

Outside of class, I have really settled down here. After class, I often stop by Sainsbury’s, the local market, to grab dinner. I may spend part of the evening doing homework before heading out with one of numerous people to grab a drink, walk around the canal, or visit other houses. I feel so at home here. It is very easy to. The rustic beauty is addicting. I’m not sure how I’ll be able to leave.